Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Don't Tell Me What I Want to Hear

eyes on fire
(Photo: Gellinger/Pixabay)
I was talking to my co-worker about a recent fire assignment he had been on. He told me about a trainee, a hotshot crew member, he was mentoring. At one point, my co-worker asked the firefighter to go scout a section of the fire and report back to him. The firefighter came back and gave his report. My co-worker asked the firefighter what plan of action they should take. The firefighter said, "May I speak freely?" My co-worker was a bit taken back by the response and took the opportunity to lead by saying (and I paraphrase), "Of course you do! I want you to tell me what you think, not what I want to hear."

After one of the after action reviews, the trainee cautiously approached my co-worker and said, "I didn't want to say anything or offend anyone, but..." Again, my co-worker took the opportunity to coach the trainee.

How many times do we tell someone what they want to hear instead of what they need to hear? How many of us seek for understanding and create a leadership environment that allows for anyone to share their opinions freely? We all have blindspots and need those around us who welcome the feedback and are not threatened by another member's perspective. 

Of course you have a right to speak freely! Your perspective matters and may be the very reason everyone goes home.

Wildland Fire Leadership Challenge - Digging a Little Deeper


Seeing is believing, right? No! We see things differently. Having the courage to share how you feel and tell others what you see is vital in the wildland fire profession.
"Looking isn't the same as seeing." - Daniel Simons
  • Watch Daniel Simons' TEDx "Seeing the world as it isn't" video. 


  • Develop a sharing culture on your team where members do not fear speaking up—that everyone is encouraged to contribute to decision making.

Pam McDonald is a writer/editor for BLM Wildland Fire Training and Workforce Development and member of the NWCG Leadership Subcommittee. The expressions are those of the author. 

Thank to Chief Brian Fennessy for sharing this video with me.

No comments: