Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Never Alone

(Credit: Washington State Department of Natural Resources)

In the summer of 2000, there was a windstorm that came through and knocked down more than 70 miles of power lines, which caused many fires. It was late at night when I answered the phone in the dispatch center. It was my first boss when I was on a fire engine, and his voice was shaking. He said, “Summer, I need help!” Immediately, I knew the voice, as this was someone I respected immensely and was my mentor in many ways.

I said, “What’s going on?” He answered, quickly, “Please call the power company!” He went on to explain that he was on a dirt road and that a power line had snapped and had come down and rested on his truck. He was stuck. He could not move, stretch, reach, open the door, roll down the window, and especially not leave the truck. He was truly stuck and fearful of what was, what is, what may come, and what will be.
I called the power company and kept him on the line while we talked through the situation. The power company employee on the other end expressed their concern and I knew from their tone that this could go very bad, very quickly. The voltage should destroy his electrical system in his truck and could start a fire, or the heat from the line could catch the truck on fire.

The representative from the power company said to tell the employee to stay in the truck! I told him that. His response was that there was fire around his truck. That in itself is one of the situations that a firefighter never wants to get caught in, to be trapped in your truck and not be able to drive out.

But this situation was different. The power line was still live and if he took one step out of the truck and put his foot on the ground, he would be electrocuted.

It took hours for the lines to get shut off and cool down. Hours. Long, agonizing hours! I just kept talking to him, reassuring him, praying with and for him, and telling him I was right there with him, telling him he was respected and loved, and that he wasn’t alone.

Finally, at around 3:15 in the morning, we got the word from the power company that he could drive away. He drove back to the fire office and parked his truck. He, well, we had been through something strange and unlikely, but most definitely faith-stirring.

Lord, that news couldn’t come sooner. We were both mentally, emotionally and physically spent.
But what resonates with me is that stuck feeling. Fearful of what was, what is, what may come, and what will be.

I recognize those feelings... I am stuck.

But I know this can’t last forever. Time will provide healing and God will provide me with discernment. I will gain perspective and increased compassion and someday I will look back at this time and see that this wilderness that I am in, is not just my own.

Remember, when someone is hurting, don’t stop talking to them, reassuring them, praying with and for them, and telling them you are right there with him, tell them they are loved, and that they are never alone.

The expressions, used with permission, are those of the author, Summer Osmond, BLM employee and former wildland firefighter.

No comments: