Saturday, July 5, 2014

Day 6: My Safety...Who's Really in Charge?

Day 6

DAY 6: MY SAFETY...WHO'S REALLY IN CHARGE?
Written by Tim Blake
NWCG Preparedness Branch Coordinator


“I recently attended a “Safety Summit” to help develop a Strategic Safety Plan. The question was asked, “Who’s responsible for safety?” Management? Leadership? Supervisors?

To answer this question, I reflected on an “awakening” moment for me and felt a shot of adrenaline surge through me and couldn’t be still. Typically I’m quiet in meetings, but this topic touched my soul and I couldn’t hold back.

I reflected on my basic fire school training where I was taught to work hard, keep my head down, and dig…I was very young, up for the task, and “all in.” Exciting stuff!

My first fire was a hike in, lightning struck Ponderosa Pine snag high on a ridge. We made the climb, and I did as instructed; head down, dig and work hard. My squad boss was “looking out for me” as I mopped under this huge snag and I stirred and mixed the embers.

I had an uncomfortable feeling inside but was determined to prove myself as a firefighter. I didn’t like being under a big snag on fire, but went with my training and watched my squad boss. Suddenly, an overwhelming force launched me off my feet and I dove downhill. The top of the snag had fallen and miraculously missed me by inches. I broke two fingers in the dive but am very grateful to be alive!

So, the lesson I learned through this experience, and to answer the original question, is that I am absolutely in charge of my own safety. Keeping myself alive is something I cannot delegate to someone else. I must listen to that “feeling” and react. We work as a team and take care of each other, but definitely speak up if something doesn’t feel right.

YOU are ultimately in charge of your safety.”

Discussion Questions~There will be situations where you lack experience and must rely on someone with more experience. What's the balance between self-reliance and deference to expertise?
~As a leader, how do you encourage your people to think for themselves yet work as team?

[Visit 6 Minutes for Safety to download the flyer.]

No comments: