Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Behind the Holiday


In preparation for the upcoming Memorial Day holiday, and having just returned from the hallowed fields of Gettysburg, I thought that I would honor the history behind this most decorated day.

According to History.com, Memorial Day, formerly known as Decoration Day, originated to commemorate U.S. soldiers who died while in the military service--most specifically those Union and Conferate soldiers who gave their lives during the American Civil War.

The further we get away from our history, the more we forget its origin. Without research, I would have gone on believing that Memorial Day, beyond the holiday, was to respect those who have died--regardless of their military service.

Having just walked the hallowed fields of Gettysburg, I know that this Memorial Day will include a moment to acknowledge the sacrifices made by those who believed so passionately that this country should remain united.

As I bid "lights out" on this blog entry, I present a link to the history of "Taps."

***Photo credit: Nicole Hallisey, NIFC

No comments: