Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Be Better

weather kit and backpack

A couple years ago, I was talking to a senior executive from a local multi-level marketing company on leadership. I thought we were talking about delivering a leadership session to others, but I got schooled in leadership instead. In a nutshell, she taught me that being the best doesn't make you better.

Having attended many a multi-level marketing party, I knew the drill about buying product and the dreaded be-your-own-boss-and-make-a-lot-of-money pitch. Every consultant loves to build the down line. During my talk with the senior executive, I said something that was heard as "any consultant is a good consultant." My executive friend kindly, but firmly, told me that all consultants must be of good character and promote company values. If they don't have these things she doesn't them in the business. My friend helped me be better.

I was reminded of my lesson when I read a story in Bill Treasurer and Joh Havlik's book The Leadership Killer by Bill Treasurer and John Havlik. In a nutshell, Bill and John tell the story of a boy named Alex who played basketball for Coach Jim Johnson, a nationally recognized motivational speaker. In one game Alex had scored most of the points in a game. Johnson said to Alex, "If you're going to play like that, I don't want you on the team." Coach Johnson helped Alex be better.

The lesson can be applied across disciplines. Best doesn't always mean better. What is the image you want for your team, your organization, yourself? Is it the best it can be or could it be better? Are you promoting self or others? Who is helping you be better? What are you doing to make others better?

Granite Mountain Hotshots

Andrew Ashcraft, a fallen member of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, challenged us to BE BETTER. His simple white bands adorned with those two words was a visible sign to all in our network not be best but to be better. Honor his memory and read his story on the Spread the Better: Be Better blog. Andrew's challenge can make us better!

Pam McDonald is a writer/editor for BLM Wildland Fire Training and Workforce Development and member of the NWCG Leadership Subcommittee. The expressions are those of the author.

No comments: