Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Tough Transitions

clouds during an orange-colored sunset
(Photo: Pam McDonald)

Transitions are one of the most critical moments during fire operations. The same can be said about our personal lives. One of the toughest transitions I have ever made was returning to the office environment after two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Nothing could have prepared me for the difficulties I experienced.

As a regular teleworker, I had spent quite a few years working a couple days from home. That transition for me was relatively easy. I have always thought my job duties could be performed remotely. Little did I know I would become a remote worker for two years. Then as if a light switch was flipped as infection levels dropped, we were back in the office. Mind you, the transition was gradual; but the results were profound (at least for me).

To be transparent, I had been going into the office regularly to take care of the plants. This was an odd experience as well. I felt like I was visiting a mausoleum. Guards greeted you as if you were entering a hallowed space, dust had accumulated on desks, and the entire building had a funk. I felt a bit unsettled, but the plants were surprisingly healthy. The plants and I had a special relationship. 

As the infection levels dropped, so did my motivation levels. Anxiety increased. I did not want to go back. Mind you new telework rules allowed for maximum telework. I would only be in the office three days a pay period. Those three days have proved extremely difficult. I have gained weight and lost hair. Beyond the physical is my feeling of belonging and the nagging thought, "Why am I here?"

Change is hard. I feel out of place. I long to be recognized and welcomed into a work environment that is so foreign to me. I long for the ability to find flow without interruption. I long for commute-free days. I long to feel connected, yet I have a new idea of connectedness. 

What happened during the pandemic "shutdown" changed us—personally and as an organization. Behaviors typically taking 28 days to alter where ingrained over 2 years. We all have changes to make as we gather together. 

I challenge you to:

  • Acknowledge one another.
  • Ask how your team members are doing.
  • Evaluate the work environment and adjust as necessary.
  • Empathize with others. 
Wildland Fire Leadership Challenge - Digging a Little Deeper

Pam McDonald is a writer/editor for BLM Wildland Fire Training and Workforce Development and member of the NWCG Leadership Committee. The expressions are those of the author.

No comments: