Tuesday, August 25, 2020

If Learning Were a Virus

letter
(Photo: Pam McDonald)

I never imagined that in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic that I would find a letter to my grandmother from a sibling regarding the 1918 pandemic. It was as if I had taken a step back in history. I, too, contemplate whether or not I should take the shots when a vaccine is found.

As I research my genealogy, I find story after story that replays itself generations later. I wish I could say that people learn from their past, but I do not believe this to be the case. As I seek for understanding, I have come to the conclusion that lessons are learned at the personal level. Few will heed the lessons of the past unless they personally experience the crisis or situation.

Just as John M. Barry told us about the 1918 pandemic in his book, The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History, we have a library of reports regarding of accidents and fatality fires. We must get better about being a learning organization. We need learning to be a virus that runs like wildfire through our organizations. A virus that shakes up our system and causes us to see its impacts for the better.

What is learning were a virus?

Wildland Fire Leadership Challenge - Digging a Little Deeper

Make time in your day to learn the lessons from our past.
  • Visit the Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center.
    • Research an accident or incident.
    • What lesson(s) are to be learned?
    • How will you ensure the lesson is learned?
    • How will you share your knowledge with others.
  • Develop a plan to make learning lessons from our past a part of your routine.

Pam McDonald is a writer/editor for BLM Wildland Fire Training and Workforce Development and member of the NWCG Leadership Committee. The expressions are those of the author.




No comments: