Tuesday, August 4, 2020

What Is Your Why?

(Tumwater Falls, Olympia, WA, where fish jump up the falls; photo: Pam McDonald)

Three to six months ago, our world was rocked when the smallest of enemies attacked Earth's inhabitants. A novel coronavirus emerged as a deadly foe to, at this writing, over half a million people. We learn more and more about this virus on a daily basis, but many of us remain steadfast in our response. Why are we so divided on all things Covid-19? Why does wearing/not wearing a mask seem like a salmon swimming upstream to return to their spawning ground?

(Salmon pooled up below Tumwater Falls, Olympia, WA; photo: Pam McDonald)

(Fish ladder at Tumwater Falls, Olympia, WA)

Comfort, inconvenience, peer pressure, doubt, and defiance may be answers. Whatever side of the debate you claim, it really comes down to values. How you react tells others a lot about you.

I admit that I have reacted with all five of these responses over the last five months. Do I want to wear a mask? Do I have to? No. I am an asthmatic; breathing is hard enough let alone with a mask. I do it out of pure respect for others (and a little for myself because I don't want to battle that beast).

The science for wearing a mask to reduce the spread gets stronger every day. It is something I can control when things all around me are in chaos. It is a way for me to say, "I care about you enough to wear this mask even if it is uncomfortable, inconveniences me, and possibly clashes with my outfit. 

Being a leader is about "choosing the difficult right over the easy wrong." Each time a new mandate out for wearing PPE do so with health and safety in mind. No one WANTS to make the mandates which they know will be seen by some as an infringement on personal rights. They do it from a sense of duty, respect, and integrity.

The "why" behind our actions is more important than wearing the mask. I think Simon Sinek says it best, "People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it." 

Why are you doing what you are doing with regards to the mask debate? 

Wildland Fire Leadership Challenge - Digging a Little Deeper
Do you feel like you are swimming upstream? Here are a couple resources that will help you help others and understand where they others may be in the process of learning.
  • Expand and share your knowledge of the science behind wearing a mask.

  • Learn how the theory of diffusion theory affects the popularity of wearing a mask.

Pam McDonald is a writer/editor for BLM Wildland Fire Training and Workforce Development and member of the NWCG Leadership Committee. The expressions are those of the author.

No comments: